Sunday, June 21, 2015

Ayubowan - Around Sri Lanka with Isuri (#2)

Welcome back to the Adventures of Isuri. Like I said in my previous post, this post will be about one of many encountered adventures during my weekend in Nuwara Eliya. 

The following morning, we decided we wanted to do more than just eat, enjoy the blissful weather, sleep, watch some interesting movies and repeat.  Sooo, we thought we'd do a hike through the mountains! I mean, it couldn't be that bad right? A 2.5 hour hike. I do it every day, you know, casually, just hike. 

At the start of our hike, our pal from the hotel; Muttu, walked us past a day care that rather intrigued me. This daycare houses the kids of the women who are employed by tea estates around the area as tea pluckers. These women drop off their children at 8am and pick them up right after work. 


(Left: Muttu teaching us about different tea leaves.)      
(Right: Kids at the daycare.)

Proceeding on our hike through the hills, we bumped into a group of kids from the area who were extremely excited to see us and talk to us. The younger kids on the selfie very excited said "Hello friend" to me, while the older kids from the group picture proceeded to talk to me in as much English as they knew. This was truly a heart warming moment and such a delightful experience to see how excited these kids got, to just be able to talk to someone in English and help fix the sentences they knew. 

 















(Kids from the neighborhood who rushed to talk to us.)



So we kept walking up hill, and it wasn't too bad to be honest. Was a beautiful day, and the view was just so spectacular my Snapstory demanded that it should be at least 400seconds long, and so I abided by my social media demands. It was just another amazing day to be back at home, climbing and hiking, cos I've lived 19 years in Sri Lanka and it took me 1 year away to realize I needed to explore a lot more. So yes, let me throw the beauty of nature in your face. 

Explain to me exactly how nature could be so breathtaking. Wow. (---->)

And then we just kept walking, and walking, and it was a little exhausting, although we were no where close to giving up, but we kept going. UNTIL, Muttu showed us this cute little tree house up a massive slop-y hill and said, "That, is where we are going."

It was fine at first, but we really needed about 5 minutes to let it sink in. Now let me tell you this, I am not a gym rat, and I do not plan on being one either, but I was determined, although I had my mom screaming at me like one of those voices in my head, because she wasn't really ready for this climb through the jungle. Muttu asked us to be extremely quiet from this point forth, until we reach the top, because there's plenty of animals in this jungly area and he obviously didn't want us eaten alive. I mean, yeah sure, I'll be quiet, though I was really screaming inside me. Well I must say the same for my bestfriend and her sister too!

So here's us struggling at the start, and somewhere mid point, through the branches that went in your face, and the thorns that gently caressed you (not really) and the dried up leaves that creeped out your soul like there's no end to tomorrow. 

 



Good times, good times. I must say I rather enjoyed doing this, despite the many complaints, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!




Well, what can I say. We got to the top, and this was what we saw. 
*cue the dramatic music ; preferably Chariots of Fire*






























Well folks, that bring us to the end of today's adventures. No seriously, come back for my next post, because I plucked tea! That's a sight you don't want to miss. Ready your bank account and plan your vacation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment