Saturday, May 13, 2017

Ambassador in the Spotlight: Bridget

As I prepare to graduate in 8 days, I feel incredibly blessed to have spent the past four years at Adelphi. Through a combination of small, fascinating classes, caring professors, and amazing opportunities for personal and professional development, my growth as an individual astounds me. Before coming to Adelphi, I was a perfectionistic, shy student with a passion for science and teaching.  As a graduating senior, I can say that I have truly learned the importance of balance in order to lead a healthy, happy life.  At Adelphi, my love for science and education has grown, as have my abilities to help others and myself.


In my time at Adelphi, I have had the opportunity to participate in many activities that have contributed to my growth. I am graduating with a degree in physics with minors in adolescent education and math, but these programs do not begin to describe my involvement on campus.  During the first week of my freshman year, I joined the Newman Club, a Catholic club that became one of many sources of friendship and support. I was able to be myself and meet amazing people, participate in events both on and off campus, and develop leadership skills that led to my place on the executive board during my junior year.


I have also had the opportunity to work for two departments at Adelphi, the Admissions Office and the Learning and Writing Center.  In Admissions, I was able to help prospective students find a home at Adelphi by describing my experiences and love for the school.  I have answered phone calls, given tours, and worked with Admissions Counselors to complete office projects.  This involvement led to a position as a Senior Ambassador as well as a graduate assistantship for next year as I pursue my Master's in Adolescent Education.  At the Learning and Writing Center, I have acted as a peer tutor for physics and math courses and have taught recitations (essentially extra help problem-solving sessions) for introductory physics, through which I have developed skills to be used in my career as a teacher.


I have participated in classroom observations at a variety of local high schools which have allowed me to learn from excellent teachers and practice my own teaching techniques.  I am very excited to begin my student teaching next year!

Participating in these activities and jobs while pursuing my degree has been a challenge as well as a major learning experience for me.  There were many days that were difficult and I stumbled on a variety of occasions, but I never felt alone in my struggles. My friends and family have been a major source of support, as have my professors. Before beginning college, I was sad to leave the encouraging and caring teachers at my high school, as I believed that I would not find this in college.  This misconception was addressed right from my start at Adelphi, on my college tour, when I learned about the small classes that allowed professors to get to know their students.  The professors at Adelphi care about your growth and progress in addition to your success within the classroom and into the future, which has helped me to grow significantly.

Today marks the first day of my last finals week as an undergraduate student at Adelphi, a fact that I am not quite ready to accept, however, I feel prepared and ready to begin the next step in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment