Monday, April 10, 2017

Ambassador in the Spotlight: Rachel

   
  
The day I received my acceptance letter from Adelphi was the day my life changed forever.  I didn’t know it at the time, but choosing Adelphi and pushing myself out of my comfort zone was the best decision I could have made. Of course the move up to New York from Maryland, my hometown, was a little daunting at first, especially given that I didn’t know any one else yet!  However, when freshmen orientation rolled around I was immediately at ease when I met so many people, a lot of whom are still close friends to this day.

            Adelphi has always been there for me, from public safety officers helping me fix a flat tire off-campus to being picked up from the train station late at night; I know Adelphi has my back.  A common agreement amongst our community is that people at Adelphi are all so friendly.  It’s true!  I don’t know where I would be if it weren’t for the friendships I’ve made with peers and mentors along the way. Through staff connections, I’ve been able to go see new pieces of theatre that are a vital part of my learning experience as an acting major.  I’ve been recommended for jobs such as a position as the dance and drama instructor at a summer camp this past summer at which I had a blast!  And now, this summer I’m travelling to the remote village of Papingo, Greece to study in the OYL Apprentice Program, a theatre immersive training experience!  Without Adelphi and the resources it has given me, my dreams would remain merely dreams, but here I am and here I go making those dreams come true!


I chose Adelphi because I felt like I could be myself, I felt at home.  This summer, my family is moving out to Denver, which will make the distance between my families even greater.  When people ask if I will still attend Adelphi once we move, I can’t help but laugh.  No matter how great the distance, nothing could come between me and my love of Adelphi, me and my second family, me and my home away from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment