Thursday, June 23, 2016

Hi again everyone- it's me, Minh!


Check out how I fell in love with NYC when I came to Adelphi University from Vietnam!


Share Moments. Share Life.


My second home- NYC

JUNE 1, 2016
Far from home, I always miss that feeling of belonging and closeness that I have at home around my family back in Vietnam. At first, I imagine my life in the US would start with isolating myself in my room, reading though the pages of my Anatomy book. However, thanks to my friends and my second family here in New York, now, New York is the second home to me.

Coming here, I am lucky enough to have met my second Vietnamese family. My dear auntie  Mrs. Nguyen, has always been supporting me in every hardship that I faced here in this new environment. She made the best Vietnamese food (even better than my mom does). She took me to go shopping, helped me move in to my residence hall in Adelphi, and taught me so many life lessons.

My cousins – Phuong, Rob, Nam, and Susanna are my best friends. I shared every moments of my life with them. All the nights that I stayed up for exams, or craved for Vietnamese food, or went crazy in EDC, they are always there by my side. Rob, Phuong, along with my two little cutie pies Addison and Penelope, organize my first birthday party in the US for me. My “New York fam” means a lot to me, and I am very thankful to share every moments of my life with them.


Fig. 1. My New York fam: (L to R): Penelope, Rob, Me, Addison, and Phuong.

Being a student of Adelphi, I was lucky enough to have met my Vietnamese best friend/ sister- Hannah. Hannah is like the big sister of me, whom I have never had. She took me out to countless restaurants to satisfy my hungry stomach, took me to the city to go shopping nearly every weekend, and introduced me to many other cool Vietnamese friends. I shared so many things with her, and she always listens to all of my daily rants. Hands down to the nicest and most patient sister ever!






Fig. 2. Hannah and I went to the city for our Halloween party.


Fig. 3. My Vietnamese friends and I.

Not only Hannah, I have made many other awesome friends in Adelphi University. As a member of the Levermore Global Scholars (LGS) Program, I get a chance to be in a class full of wonderful hearts and minds. Everyone in LGS are so nice and welcoming, which made me feel like home. Once, our professor – Dr. Thornburg (or we all prefer to call him Dr. T) invited all of us to come to his house and have lunch there. We all had a fun time there, as you can see in the picture below:


Fig. 4. My LGS Fam went to Dr. T’s house.

In LGS, I have made friend with my big mama Jenna, who has helped me so much during my time in Adelphi. I got a chance to celebrate Thanksgiving in 2015 with Jenna and her family. They were so nice to me, and I spent two days with them. I got to taste the best turkey ever that was made by Jenna’s mother, and also the amazing dessert that her family has offered me. I also got a chance to experience the “craziness” of Black Friday Sales in Roosevelt Field Mall with Jenna. (It took us nearly 45 minutes to find parking, but it was worth it since we shopped a lot with many good deals. Thanks mom!)

Fig. 5. My Islip Fam.

Besides LGS, I have also made friends in my Nursing class. Aisha and Tessy are the two friends that have helped me get through finals, and also have taken me to many places to experience many fun activities during my first college year. Thanks to these two, I got through finals with good grades, and also had the best time during all those nights that I stayed up to study.
Fig. 6. My Finals Squad.

Last but not least, being friend with my Japanese roommate/ best friend – Momoka is one of best part of my freshman year here in Adelphi. We share so many things in common. We went shopping together to the city, to the mall, and have dinner together on many special occasions. On May 14th, Momoka and I decided to go to EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival) in Citi Field. We have a blast there as we made it to the front row and saw all of our favorite DJ!


Fig. 7. Momoka and I went to Macy’s for Christmas.       


 Fig. 8. Momoka and I at EDC.
Thank you so much for following up with my adventure! Hope you guys enjoy it!
Minh, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment